Thread: Forumite Awards
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2005, 12:16 PM   #19
Jazhara7
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
Ninth, I would give you an award for the best use of .

Seriously, all those award categories Jaz put up - that would be too much for me to wrap my brain around and I would fizzle out after the first 10. I think it's difficult because in order to not hurt someone's feelings - you would need to give an award to everyone (they've gone to this extreme in schools where everyone gets a consolation award) which invalidates the whole notion of awards. Everyone here has their own uniqueness that can't usually be encapsulated into a restrictive award. We just need to give each other the love when we post.

Well, it was just as a guideline. I mean, I don't even know if there are any other Tortallaholics apart from me on these forums (Tortall is the World that one one of the book sequences are set in. Well, Tortall, and the other countries in that world, but most of the plot takes place in Tortall.)

And some of the categories only work if applied to a roleplay chat. Like these:

Quote:
Best Lower Class Character:
Best Upper Class Character:
Best Member of the Rogue:
Best Child Female:
Best Young Adult Female:
Best Adult Female:
Best Child Male:
Best Young Adult Male:
Best Adult Male:
Character of the Year (Non-US):
Character of the Year (East Coast):
Character of the Year (Not East Coast):
Oh, and the "Village Bike" award should maybe be excluded. After all we are a family forum.*

As for the "everyone has to get an award, or they will be envious": People can actually receive several awards. I know another german who got at least 4 awards (two of them for her character, which has a different name though, so you probably didn't notice it.) I think we are mature enough to not throw a tantrum when we don't win something. In my school we get awards at the end of the school year for the different subjects. For every class level there's one set of awards distributed. So class level 9, which is separated into three parallel classes, usually have the same amount of awards as grade 12 (us. We are one class. And a pretty small one too.). Grade 13 doesn't even get separate awards (or no awards at all, I think), because there are not enough students - This year grade 13 has exactly one (1) student (Because grade 13 is optional. If you do the AP, you don't need it. If you do the A Levels, you have to, because it is a two year course).

Often it's the same people that get several awards. Those that participate in school and activities well, and does well in school are more likely to get an award, of course. People know that, and they don't complain. It's just a fun way to end the school year, and talk to the students again a last time, before the summer holidays.

While I'm at it, I nominate Ninth for the "Most Desperate For An Award" Award!

-

*before you ask, the forum is also a family one, and the roleplay chat too.

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!