View Single Post
Old 11-17-2005, 10:43 AM   #532
Ninth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
And on topic:

Constant Gardener - this film is talked about much much much less than it should! From the director of Cidade de Deus (City of God), which frankly I thought was one of those aforementioned unnecessary non-American-but-wannabe-Hollywood movies, I'd never expected such a gritty and humane combination of drama, thriller and romance. Ralph Fiennes and Rachel Weisz gave the best performances I've ever seen them in. Outstanding cinematography (I'm not a fan of free roaming camera, but here it was utillised perfectly, especially in suggesting main character's feeling of suspicion and paranoia). Touching, memorable and very up-to-date (especially in political/social sense) story, adapted from John le Carré's novel. Perfect ending, too - unnerving but satisfying (my eyes were damp). Highly recommended!

For those of you who were misled by the word "thriller", though, a warning: this is not for viewers with short attention span, and is at least as much about clash of worldviews, subtle love story, and geopolitical critique as about investigation into one woman's death.
Sounds like The Tailor of Panama, which I loved.