View Single Post
Old 11-17-2005, 10:19 AM   #530
AFGNCAAP
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
Corpse Bride

Awesome! Just awesome. I loved it. There's really not much more to say
Loaded with fun and technically brilliant - yes, but, unfortunately, I was half-expecting second Nightmare before Christmas, which - realistically - would be impossible to top, as my favourite animation ever. Me = spoiled bastard.

I found Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to be definitely better, what do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by temporaryscars
I don't get people who shun Hollywood movies because they're a nice and shiny package. You all try so hard to be cool and "indie" by watching films from like...friggin Siberia or awful French films like Amalie...ya know, films that are odd for the sake of being odd.
It's a very shallow point of view. I know quite a few people who indeed would watch "artsy" movies only to increase their self-esteem, true. But it's annoying, or at least oddly Americano-cetric of you, to assume that Hollywood is somehow the default option, and if someone prefers other films, he does so just for the sake of being different than the rest.

Thing that annoys me most, unintiresting film from friggin Siberia would usually never leave its region (along with much of the good stuff). And 90% of Hollywood is sure to get released in every corner of the World, no matter how hopelessly bad it ends up.

And, come-on, Amélie? You could hardly bring a less suitable example. I don't know about the States, but it was a tremendous commercial success in most countries worldwide, so it seems to have some crowd-pleasing qualities. I could easily interpret your criticizing it as "shunning because it's a nice and shiny package".

EDIT: Rereading the last part, I decided to add that, personally, I love Amélie, in case someone suspected the opposite. For me it's easily a Top 20 material.

Last edited by AFGNCAAP; 11-17-2005 at 10:25 AM.