View Single Post
Old 11-16-2005, 11:18 PM   #15
Kurufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
There are better solutions for some of these games than even DosBox.

Check out this patch for GK1. It uses the Windows version of the game, which is on the same CD as the DOS version (installed with setup.exe instead of install.exe).

The Windows version of KQ7 (which should be on the same CD with the DOS version, again use setup.exe instead of install.exe) ran fine for me in XP, I just had to change the screen resolution to 640x480 and color depth to 256 colors before launching.
Yes, but using the windows version of GK1 you don't have DOSBox's scalers (=> ugly pixellated graphics, esp. on my laptop) and you get ugly black and white cursors instead of the beautiful coloured ones. More importantly, you get very low quality videos instead of the much more beautiful ones of the DOS version.

I completely agree with you for KQ7, though (and even more for GK2, mentioned in some other thread); if the game runs just as well under Windows, there's no point in slowing it down with DOSBox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG
The games I've aquired are :
  • Gabriel Knight
  • Kyrandia 1-3
  • Discworld
  • Kings Quest 1-6
  • Space Quest 1-6
  • 7th Guest
All those run fine under DOSBox.

Quote:
  • 11th Hour
Can't help you with that one. I think it might be possible to run it under DOSBox with some experimental patch compiled in (to get 16/24-bit graphics to run), but I haven't really tried recently.

Quote:
  • Lighthouse
Should run fine under Windows. Though I'd advise you to put the discs to a better use, like playing frisbee with you dog or something. It's an absolutely terrible game --- I still have nightmares of the endless conversation with that half-broken mechanical girl...
EDIT: I've just seen fov's post. She's probably right, actually. Another reason to throw that piece of garbage away.

Quote:
  • Quivering
  • Star Trek - Judgement Rites
  • Star Trek - 25th Anniversary
  • Bioforge
  • Traitor's Gate
  • Hopkins FBI
Dunno about those.

Discworld Noir, TLJ and Faust run fine under XP (possibly with compatibility modes). The Feeble Files only run on 95/98/Me (and hopefully in ScummVM soon).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Look on the bright side - at least it wasn't your 5,436th post about running Sierra games under DOSBox.
Shoot me if I ever get there.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]