Adventure Forums - View Single Post - Recent movies seen
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2005, 05:28 PM   #515
SakSquash
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
They're not good.

And what I mean is, some of them are really bad, most of them are tolerable, but have always the same inherent flaws (stupid happy endings, Punisher syndrome - the law isn't up to it, so I will kill all the evil doers - , marriage is the only acceptable way for two people to be together syndrome, evil evil evil bad guys, and sickeningly nice good guys, etc...), and a very few manage to somehow escape those flaws, or at least some of them.
Like Master and Commander (if that's a Hollywood movie).

Take Gladiator, for example, what could have been an excellent movie what ruined at the end by turning history on its head for the sake of morals. Hollywood has that effect on movies. On most of them, anyway.

EDIT: And I wish people would stop assume that people watch so-called weird movies because the want ot feel indie and cool. These movies focus on creativity instead of following established recipes for success. That makes them, you know, more interesting, and sometimes *shock* far better.
Of course there are a ton of bad American movies. Shit, throw a rock and you're bound to hit a "romantic comedy" and they all suck, minus The Wedding Singer, but there are a ton of shit French movies as well (hello, I Stand Alone ring a bell? Baise Moi? I rest my case.) not to mention other countries as well. But those countries also have good movies, like City of Lost Children (I think...I haven't decided yet...). So you can't say "OH MAN! IT'S A HOLLYWOOD MOVIE!? IT MUST SUCK!" because it applies to movies from everywhere.

Oh, and your comment about happy endings and characters who are all good or bad, that's complete crap. I haven't seen a movie like that since the 60's. The majority of characters from movies today have some sort of flaw/redeeming quality unless it's a childrens movie. And you see bad endings just as much as you see happy ones. Look at your friggin avatar.