View Single Post
Old 11-16-2005, 02:11 PM   #9
Kurufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdaG
Tried it with my Gabriel Knight CD and is doesn't work at all. I get to see to logo and then it crashes back to the desktop. The same thing happens if try to run it without VDMsound (and using different compatibility modes). Oh well at least I know now that there's an option to DOSBox. VDMSound did however work with the Floppy version of Kings Quest VI
Oh, I thought you meant really recent games. You know, The Riddle of Master Lu, The Pandora Directive, that sort of things. Building an old computer might be worth it for those (though you're free to set your priorities, of course ). But you should have no problem running Sierra games under DOSBox (except maybe KQ7) whatever your computer. Are you sure you don't have a conflict in your DOSBox config, between the SoundBlaster and the Gravis Ultrasound for instance (using the same address, IRQ, whatever)? There's no point at having both enabled at the same time anyway (eats up resources), so you should disable one of them (usually the GUS, except for those games which have 16-bit audio, for which it is faster than the SB16 emulation --- but that does not involve Sierra games). Also, make sure the games themselves are set up correctly; see my post here, though you probably know all of that already. (Yes, I know, I keep making cheap plugs for my previous posts... What can I say, that's the researcher in me: I'm obsessed with citations. )

But play with VDMSound if you wish. I personally hate it, but I know some love it. And with fov, you're in good hands.

Oh, and that was my 200th post. And it's talking about the exact same thing as my first one: Sierra games under DOSBox. Is that some weird coincidence, or am I just a complete monomaniac?
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]