Thread: 80 Days
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2005, 04:07 AM   #3
kelmer
Adventure ergo sum

I didn't like it very much. It features a repetitive schema of puzzles and enigmas in each city; it's always the same narrative structure and sometimes even the same order: a sneaking mission; a couple puzzles รก-la Tomb Raider (extending platforms to jump into, finding a path through some rocks, push levers...), a few Myst-like puzzles (that is, those that are full-screen in 2D games, I don't know how you call those in English), a couple (yes, only a couple) classic puzzles of combining objects (which were kind of nice and witty), some vacuous and annoying missions that consist only on going from one point of the map to another (to fullfill the wishes of some scottish clan), and that's pretty much it. There's even a repetition of the same puzzle up to 4 times: using a metal rod to get an object that's obstructing something.

There is no real interactivity in those beautiful, huge cities, you cannot interact with any objects, no real conversations whit any characters (dialogues are, by the way, authomatic and can't be controlled by the player, so dialogue puzzles are omitted), and no things to do at all.

Add to that the annoying interface, some uninspired dialogue, a huge plethora of anacronisms (which I don't think were intentional), and some nice pop music (with songs like "Walk an Egyptian" from The Bangles - with the vocals removed) that feels pretty much unappropiated for this kind of game. You know, it's hard to get into the story when you're running around in Cairo while listening pop and dance music from the 80's...

I liked the graphics and the engine though.

I wrote a review for my website, it's in Spanish for those who can understand it.