Thread: Myst V review
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2005, 04:39 AM   #5
Jackal
Hopeful skeptic

Well, those slate issues listed just strike me as secondary nuisances (or in the last case quoted, a bug). In an otherwise good game, such annoyances tend to stand out more, because it yanks you out of enjoying the game, so they need to be mentioned. But it's not like he's saying the puzzles themselves are poor. The review is generally fairly positive about those.

I've probably harped on a lot more about a lot less and still given games 4 stars. Our 4-star rating is described as "a game of very high quality. Although some aspects might have been executed better, we would recommend this game to any adventure gamer without hesitation."

I mean, really we have to explain the parts that might have been executed better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
I would say: Average graphics, unimpressive music, unintersting characters, average controls, doesn't add anything to the story (but I haven't finished it yet, so that's just my impression after 3 quarter or more of the game).
I've only played the demo, so my own experience is more limited. Just out of curiosity, when you say "average" graphics, what are you comparing them to? I agree they're hardly cutting edge quality, but I'd still call them above average. I'm biting my tongue on saying "especially for an adventure", but... well, you know. Let's face it - adventures haven't exactly set the real-time 3D bar very high to this point.

I thought the controls were fantastic, though. Not that any one option does things better than any other game, necessarily, but I don't know of another game that offers that kind of range. And actually, no, I lied. I don't think I've seen a node movement game that handled its scene transition that well, either. I was really impressed.