View Single Post
Old 11-04-2005, 12:56 AM   #496
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebaruk
Think that's a good plan! If I see it I'll stick a post here to say if it's any good.
Saw 2 gets the official Huzbo seal of approval, anyway. Although I think I've already said that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebaruk
Saw Hitchhikers Guide last night, didn't think much of it although turning that book into a 2 hour film was a pretty ambitious project. I still prefer the TV series.
I felt exactly the same way - right down to preferring the TV series! If nothing else, the film made me watch it again.

I think perhaps it was because I'm a relatively big Hitchhiker's fan that I didn't like the film much. Some of the jokes were truncated for no reason and that really stuck in my throat. Like you I think it was massively ambitious for them to try to turn Hitchhiker's into a 2-hour film, especially because, for many of the jokes to work, they require the sort of lengthy exposition that is just not possible in a movie.

Also, the Trillian love story subplot gubbins.

(The one part that made me laugh out loud was the new bit at the party,
Spoiler:
"I said all the people here are idiots!". I think you could call that observational comedy. )

I did derive geeky pleasure from spotting the references to the original TV series and radio show, though. Did you spot the original Marvin robot? The original Arthur Dent? Ace.