View Single Post
Old 10-30-2005, 12:24 PM   #93
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fum
Trep, have you read past the first page, man? I agree I didn't make it as clear as I should have in the first post, but I think I was pretty explicitly clear in the next half-dozen posts that this forum isn't under this fake syndrome, and probably isn't falling under it, but I care about this place enough to try and keep things cool here.

You of most of all people here (you've always seemed to be one of the most level-headed persons here) should be able to look past admittedly ill-conceived titles to the content inside.
Not only have I read it, I've read it several times to make sure I got it. And I still think you weren't exactly clear in your point. Whatever inflammatory and slightly elitist behaviour you may have interpreted is simply that - an interpretation. You also stated that most of all you posted it because you were just bored at the time.

That said, I do understand and appreciate your concern for this community.

But as I also had stated, one or two incidents do not necessarily tell the overall story. I've been a member here for five years now, and a mod for two years (more or less), and not once have I noticed any instances of 'town cop-ism'. Like I said, threads have been closed for whatever reasons that made sense and were justifiable at the time a mod/admin made them. But as Fairgdmther wisely put it, the mods/admin are here a lot so they know the members well and because of that they know...

Quote:
...them by their past behavior, [they] know better who to advise and who to threaten. While this may seem arbitrary to the casual observer, I feel it is a more appropriate way to handle the kids and more appropriate to make that comparison here.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien