View Single Post
Old 10-30-2005, 10:51 AM   #85
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

Mods can't - and shouldn't have to - necessarily guess how future interlocutors may feel about a closed thread when they happen to come across it. I don't subscribe to this 'walking on eggshells' m.o. just to save some face for the community down the road. And still, on the other side of the fence as a forum member, why should I freak out just because I wasn't there at the moment some thread got closed and automatically assume the mods intervened just 'cause they felt like it or were bored and wanted to abuse their powers?

I would just think that at the time a thread was closed it must have been for a good reason as deemed by the acting mod at the time. Whether or not that reason was justifiable wouldn't be my concern as a forum member now. After all, I just got here, didn't I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
The thread exists only because he cared enough about the community to write it.
To be blunt, then, I don't think he expressed his care that well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fum
This forum is falling into a “town cop” syndrome....
Wouldn't it have made more sense to have instead stated:

Quote:
Is this forum falling into a "town cop" syndrome?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien