View Single Post
Old 10-30-2005, 09:16 AM   #80
Jackal
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky
While maybe there's no reason to get upset, I can certainly understand why someone might bridle at an apparently gratuitous exercise of authority.
Oh, I understand it, and I'm not saying I'd feel differently from the other perspective. But then we circle back to all the other issues mentioned already, like the more we explain, the more people tend to argue. When the day comes that we make a "controversial" move and people simply thank us for our explanation, I'll concede this point. Until then, I'll just reiterate that a difference of perspective means that something has to give. At times it'll be us, at times it may be forumites.

Quote:
To make another unfortunate police analogy, let's say you and some friends are sitting in a park. A cop comes by and tells you to "move along". You might have been getting ready to leave anyway, and it's not like this part of the park is nicer than any other part, but why should the cop be telling you what to do?
Very exaggerated. If that cop had been CALLED there because my friends and I had caused a disturbance earlier, then I could hardly complain, even if we'd since settled down. And if recent passersby at that point hadn't seen the commotion, I hardly think that hassling the cop for his reasoning is being a helpful citizen.

Anyway, the reasoning may be flawed, but there's no perfect system. But that's all the time I have for debating.