View Single Post
Old 10-28-2005, 10:08 AM   #51
Fum
Indegan Peningald

Thanks Snarky, I agree with what you said about the benefits of open discussions. I understand the mods have been working behind the scenes on some of the issues that have bothered me, but the problem with that is the issues occurred in public, and an empathetic person like me can get very annoyed on someone else’s behalf, and even though the issue might have been resolved with said someone else, the person like me is still annoyed by it. I know no organization wants to discuss their problems in the open (even the minor ones I've brought up), but I really don't see any harm, and much to gain for the community at large.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
If anyone is being openly confrontational with staff, they can be sure it'll escalate. That's not helping. Not because we're a bunch of pansies that cry over hurt feelings, but because authority still needs to be respected, and any authority worth a damn will rightly assert itself.
Well that's really the idea I was getting at, and I don't really agree. Sure when police are dealing with real, potentially dangerous, criminals, they are trained to use "overwhelming force" and leave no doubt as to their authority. But that isn't at all what is needed on an internet forum; I think the problems that arise on forums are more akin to minor domestic disputes, and if you ever watch the well-trained police on "Cops" (i.e. not your average town cop) you know that they try and be as passive and calm about the situation as possible, try to calm everyone down and have an open discussion of the problem. There is no need to assert authority in these purely verbal disputes. That's all I'm saying on that.

And incase it wasn't clear, yeah, the bit in my original post about using authority with restraint really was just for Tobbaco, I'll be honest. I think he already knows it. No one else has bothered me in this regard. But I still can't help but love him, so we'll just let this part of the discussion slide.