View Single Post
Old 10-27-2005, 10:08 AM   #32
Fairygdmther
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

When a PM is used to inform a mod/admin, the ensuing discussion is private and must be so. If, however, a verbal handslap is given and the member protests in the forum, then perhaps further discussion should be also in the forum. This way, the member can't cry that "they picked on me". Members can see what was said to the offending member and if it should come to a banning, temporary or otherwise, there will be less hue and cry. Keeping it open also favors the mods in that there can be no accusations of favoritism in treatment if it is all open, nor can there be a charge of ganging up on someone. If you have nothing to hide, then open may be the best way to deal with an issue of rabble-rousing, name-calling or other misbehavior. And it may act as a preventative for others who think that they can get away with it.

I agree that this shouldn't be a democracy - we need the "keepers of the rules" to police the members. Someone has to be in charge, and on a busy forum like this, that is no easy feat! Overall I feel that I agree with 98% of the mods' decisions that I've seen here. Censorship is lower here than anyplace else I've been, and the freedom to say your mind is a great attraction of this forum.

Discussions like this can make the mods feel defensive about their decisions, and the reasoning behind them. They needn't feel that way - they have been entrusted with keeping peace here, and enforcing the rules. If the rules need updating to accommodate this, then do so, to back up the mods. All of the mods here strive to be fair, and intervene only when necessary. They keep the place in a relatively harmonious state, despite the disparate ages, ethnic groups and (lord knows) opinionated discussions. I tip my hat to all the mods/admins - you don't have an easy job here.

Lynsie