View Single Post
Old 10-27-2005, 08:54 AM   #23
pinkgothic
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
We do NOT go looking for heads to bust, and we "cops" would like nothing better than to sit around on our asses all day and eat freaking powdered donuts and drinking free coffee.
Doughnuts!

pinkgothic

On a more serious note, I agree with Lucien and Snarky.

Honestly, I've never seen this "syndrome" described anywhere - sure, there are things some moderators do which I'll disagree with, but I've never had the impression a moderator did what they did just to flex muscles. Like Jackal said - situations are often much more complicated than a simple black and white. Decisions are hard to make - and every moderator is human. To deduct that they're looking for an excuse to moderate... I'm sorry, but I view that as rude, though I realise it's not intentional.

So yes, who's hassling whom? I've seen far too many places with the "be respectful to users, regardless what they're doing" policy end up with moderators who're almost scared to lock a thread, because of the responses it'll elict. So, frankly put, I've got good reason to think moderators being respectful changes nothing in regards to how their actions are perceived. People would still complain "Why did you do this?", maybe even more so, because they had the impression they could fling anything they wanted at said moderators and not be punished.

So I guess in summary... it's a lot more complicated than at first glance. Trying to simplify it down to 'you guys are looking for excuses to moderate' doesn't work - I don't know if it's maybe the case every once in a while, but I'm pretty certain if so, it's the minority of events.

...gee, I sound a lot more bitchy than I'm trying to be.

Clearly, we need more cheese.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™