View Single Post
Old 10-27-2005, 07:18 AM   #19
Jackal
Hopeful skeptic

Didn't we just go through this?

Some people seem to have an exaggerated expectation of what we should or even CAN share publicly. Detailed explanations, full disclosure, documented case histories, whatever. Even if that were desirable, which it isn't (as what exists privately should stay private), it's just not possible. It may seem like a copout to say "everything is complicated", but it's also true. And while it's wonderfully idealistic to think that people would be satisfied with more feedback, it never works that way in practice.

I don't think any of us ever said that we think people are TRYING to make trouble for us. That doesn't mean some don't act without thought to the trouble it DOES cause us. Everything anyone does around here takes time and effort, and the more people who think it's fun to publicly debate and question and challenge everything we do ad infinitum is showing no understanding of that. So if our answers start becoming more... blunt... it should hardly come as a surprise. I'm sure people would be much happier if we devoted that fourth hour a day to our answers instead of the three (random numbers here), but sometimes three is enough on this end.

The town cop thing is a cute story, but it's irrelevant. We do NOT go looking for heads to bust, and we "cops" would like nothing better than to sit around on our asses all day and eat freaking powdered donuts and drinking free coffee. Some people need to reconsider who's hassling whom. People keep pulling the alarm, and we'll keep needing to go investigate.

I said this the last time, and I'll say it again. If anyone's goal is REALLY to "create and maintain a better community", we'd love that. And they can start by asking themselves what would help the staff instead of hinder them. Asking or demanding more may sometimes be necessary, but not often.

EDIT: Snarky, your last message wasn't here when I started this, so some of my comments above are based more of the direction of your previous post.

Incidentally, I didn't even notice that F&F thread was closed. While I found the nitpicking annoying personally, it wasn't closed as a "punishment" of any kind.