View Single Post
Old 10-22-2005, 08:39 PM   #89
BigJ
Ranter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
...Wolfgang saying things like "we should have fans make the demo instead of pay Autumn Moon to do it because it would be cheaper."
I've kept a fairly close eye on Bad Brain Entertainment and Autumn Moon Entertainment ever since it was announced that they were going to try and team up for AVS, and I never heard anything even remotely like that. Could you please give a source for that quote please? Because even though I think Mr. Kierdorf has said some blatantly stupid things (as in, talking about things publicly that he shouldn't, way before he should), that doesn't really seem in character with him. His problem is that he's over-enthusiastic, not that he's an idiot, and frankly, he'd have to be an idiot to come up with the idea of a fan-made demo for a professionally made game. It's counter-intuitive, counter-productive, and just plain stupid. I mean, a fan-made game will be completely different than a professionally made one, no matter how enthusiastic the fans are. Heck, it could turn out that the fan-made demo is better than the professionally-made game (just look at 3rd person shooters and fan-designed levels, it can happen, although with the talent behind AME I doubt it would happen in this case), and where would the company be then? Stuck with fans going, "We could have made a better game than this. Heck, we did." Plus, to have a fan-made demo, they'd have to get the story for the demo from AME anyway, plus character likenesses, character voices, script, software... basically AME would have to make all the components for the demo, then give it to the fans to assemble, which would be the relatively cheap and easy part, unless the components were buggy. And if the fan-made demo was garbage, BBE would have shot themselves in the foot, since anybody who played the garbage fan-made demo would be extremely hesitant to buy the completed game.

I repeat, Mr. Kierdorf would have to be an idiot to think a fan-made demo made sense, nevermind that it would be a good idea, and he hasn't struck me as being an idiot so far, although I'm guessing some people would be willing to argue with me over that.