View Single Post
Old 10-21-2005, 10:48 AM   #81
Marek
Puts the 'e' in Mark

Hope you don't mind if I respectfully disagree with you, Flux.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux
The man is fantastic. He's an outrageous, funny, healthy person.
No doubt he's a cool guy to hang out with. But most people criticize him because he hasn't been very responsibile, not because of his personality. Remember, people liked him a lot back when Bad Brain first entered the limelight, but a cool attitude doesn't excuse you from having responsibility.

Quote:
I think it says a lot about the industry that everyone's getting so excited because a CEO is just saying exactly how it is in a blog.
More openness is great (interesting example: Greg Costikyan over at Manifesto Games), but some things you just have to keep to yourself. His personal correspondence with LucasArts or Bill Tiller are things he should keep to himself, if he wants to run a serious business at all. I probably wouldn't want to negotiate with Bad Brain knowing my correspondence could be posted publicly a couple of months later.

Quote:
Let me put it like this: do you honestly think that the little companies can be just as professional and machine-like as the big ones?
Wait, you equate professional with machine-like? Ouch. Please get a new perspective on professionality. Okay: yes, I honestly think little companies can be just as professional as the big ones, because professionality is a quality, not a quantity. A company run by a single person can be more professional than one that employs a dozen. It depends entirely on their attitude.

Quote:
If anything, this sort of thing came from inexperience, not out of scheming.
That I agree with.

If you get a chance in the future to get some first-hand experience at a medium or large company, I think you should try it out. You put some pretty stark contrast between the 'free-minded, creative, skilled, awesome charming little indie developers' and the 'huge international money grubbing capitalist corporate monsters that don't care about games'. Maybe more nuance would be better? There's a lot of companies trying to constantly balance commercial considerations with artistic ones, and to my mind that commands more respect than being some kind of game development unicorn that doesn't get their games published.

Last edited by Marek; 10-21-2005 at 11:01 AM.