View Single Post
Old 10-15-2005, 12:05 PM   #15
SoccerDude28
Homer of Kittens

From my experience, women tend to like the games for their stories. Very few women I know like shooting things, or super hero comic books, or race cars, or Football. With the Sims, they can build their own soap opera. My girl friend for example was excited that Bella Goth was missing. She was excited that her half alian/half human kid was going to university. You'd be surprised how much she liked The Movies game between all the games showing on E3.

On the other hand, she loved Psychonauts for its very fun story after she played it, although if it was not for me pimping it all the time and actually buying the game myself, she would have never ever played it. She loved KOTOR for the big twist, although again she was very skeptical about SW games. She loved KOTOR so much that she bought Jade Empire at launch and loved it for its beautiful history. She also loves puzzle games on the DS, even a big fan of advanced wars which is an awesome strategy game that is stripped from all complexities. If there is one company aiming for girls, I believe it is Nintendo, and my girl friend who has an XBOX and has bought like 2 games on it has already bought 6 games for the DS. She is planning on getting a revolution next gen. Once games get stripped of their violence and provide a meaningful way for most women to build their stories, I believe we'll see more women in games.

Firefox rules