View Single Post
Old 10-14-2005, 01:26 PM   #7
Jeysie
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

You know, the only thing I find more irritating than the stereotype that women are less technologically saavy than men is the fact that most women in society seem to be willing to perpetuate it.

I remember a few years ago I worked as a sales associate at a local software/video game store. I was the only woman working there.

Oddly enough, every one of the male employees, and the men who came into the shop, treated me like an equal. They didn't condescend to me, nor did they bend over to be politically correct or anything. I was just a sales associate who knew stuff about computers and video games and happened to have breasts.

On the flip side, all the moms who came into the store always made a big deal out of me being a woman. "Oh, it's so good to see a young girl who knows so much about technology!" they'd say. (Geez, I hope they don't have daughters. Those girls would likely either be bad with technology or feel invisible.)

So yeah, I think marketing does cater to men instead of women, however, women in general seem to be willing to put up with it.

Personally I don't want the industry to start catering to women, though. Just create unique games with strong plots, interesting characters, inspired art and music, and gameplay that requires more than just twitch reflexes, and the question of gender will be irrelevant because that sort of game is likely to appeal to everyone.

</idealistic>

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."