Thread: Mass Effect
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2005, 09:58 PM   #38
Crunchy in milk
delusions of adequacy

I realise that console have their faults too, I hate region locking more than most, living in a PAL territory at the bottom of the globe. Generally we get releases last out of everyone, with some NTSC titles from America/Canada even going through EU translation before a PAL release.

I also realise they risk becoming devices that only play big corp games. I love that indie games are getting a new lease on life on the PC thanks to broadband take up across the globe, facilitating digital delivery. I don't believe the PC can maintain its stance as a gaming platform based on higher res graphics forever. It no longer monopolises online gaming, and I don't believe playing old games is a huge draw for the majority of people.

Wishing for PC releases of all of Bioware's titles just because they made PC games to start with has nothing to do with cheaper price tag on the shelves, higher resolution graphics or avoiding updating drivers, and I regret steering the conversation in that direction. At the end of the day, Mass Effect is bought and paid for by Microsoft. Up front. The developer is being paid while making the game. Microsoft takes the risk if it bombs in sales. Given Microsoft's track record of #$%ing with games they've paid for and not letting them mature to the developer's satisfaction its a mixed blessing for the consumer (see Halo 2 and most likely Halo 3).

Bioware have no obligation to you to provide you with all their games, they're a business. Equally you don't have to play all their games. I think its great that companies like Bioware are making titles to suit different platforms and making enough money to keep on developing.

As a side note to Soccerdude, I'm sorry you only managed to get almost half your money back on that copy of GTA on the PS2. Piracy on the PS2 is a different affair to piracy on the Xbox and Gamecube. You still made more from its resale than you would from selling a similar PC game second hand.