Thread: Mass Effect
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2005, 12:04 AM   #32
Crunchy in milk
delusions of adequacy

I'm happier with TV output, even analogue if forced to it. I'm not sitting so close to a little monitor and squinting so I guess I don't need as high resolution. The chatting and the relaxed atmosphere in the living room probably helps a little too. If you're truly fixated with computer monitors, the 360 and PS3 plug straight into them also.

Being able to play old games is a pithy reason to assume the PC is a superior platform. Of the hundreds of games in my cupboards from a wasted youth the number of titles I revisit is very small. The number of revisited titles I actually finish a second time, and enjoy as much as the first time is smaller still. Being able to play years old titles means little to me (and to those willing to look past sentimentality - note to self take own advice and give away old games).

User made mods for games are great, but along with no price tag comes hassles. For users and developers. That said, have you seen Far Cry Instincts for Xbox? It comes with a map editor... another divide closing?

I never meant to bring up connection speed as an argument in a discussion about gaming platforms, I'm sorry if you mistook it for one, it was just a comment in passing about the period I got involved in running quake/2 and many fan mod gaming servers for my isp of the time.

Prices for PC games may well remain a few bob cheaper than console titles at first release, but they hardly compare to console titles in retention of value on the second hand market. Putting the money saved on new release PC titles towards new hardware just to keep up with the Joneses hardly seems like an argument in favour of the PC as a platform.

I have already stated my dislike for managing video settings on a game by game basis, updating drivers etc, despite my competency to do so. Greater customisation of these things doesn't strike me as points in favour of the PC as a platform. Suggesting that updating drivers is optional is utter nonsense. Tell me with a straight face you could have avoided doing it over a 3 year period and still play every game released to the PC over that time.

My comments on boycotting where in response to people complaining about developers making titles exclusive to consoles (spurning the PC as a platform) so any discussion about crossover is moot.

Allow me to address your 'all in one' (my computer does it all) points with the following sarcasm:

I love playing a game only to be interrupted by an instant message, especially when it forces its way to the front stalling my game or worse crashing it. Not to mention breaking the mood. I woudn't dream of disabling the messenger while playing my game because I'm all about 'all in one'. Similarly I love hitting the windows key. Having access to my office applications at the touch of a button, even in the middle of a game is important to me.

Nothing makes me happier than when my PC hard crashes due to a system hog of a computer game (and aren't they all these days). Putting my applications, data and my livelyhood at risk... "All in one!"

PC's make great Personal Computers. As a gaming/entertainment platform, they're not all that great. The notion that developers should support the PC by default independantly of whatever console they develop for is rediculous.