View Single Post
Old 10-08-2005, 07:21 PM   #91
Jeysie
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoville
So if it is acceptable for a creator to transfer his rights, the right to say how his property is used should also be transfered to the third party, meaning that by the moral code you have decided upon, Vivendi does in fact have every right to do what you are condemning them for.
That's a fair enough point. I guess I just find it distasteful that a company that didn't create an idea can buy it and then sit on it and do nothing with it when other people want to do something with it. Seeing as how the intent of copyright is to entice creators to make ideas to benefit society by enabling them to profit from it, this sort of legal idea burying seems against the spirit of it. After all, nobody's benefiting *or* profiting from it right now!

My real gripe, however, is the point below.

RT: Vivendi said stop when they haven't said stop in similar circumstances. So I think in this case KQIX has the right to ask why the seeming change in policy, and we have the right to support them.

I will say I still find the attitude of some people against fangames to be a little odd, though, seeing as how creating things like fanfiction and fanart has been a time-honored activity in fandoms of creative works for decades. I don't really see how fangames are all that different.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."

Last edited by Jeysie; 10-08-2005 at 07:37 PM.