View Single Post
Old 10-08-2005, 01:39 PM   #79
Jeysie
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
I wouldn't like being told off for performing the action, but if I knew that whether or not I was punished was entirely at the discretion of the teacher I probably wouldn't have performed the action. Equally, you might not get stopped by the police if you speed while driving, but that doesn't mean that you should do it in case you get away with it...
(grins slightly) We're boiling down to the core of things, I think.

You personally would not perform the action if you knew the teacher's discretion was uncertain. But wouldn't you rather *be* certain? Would you perhaps make a request that the teacher disclose why she did certain things? And maybe get upset if she refused to say? Especially if the kid who had seen the other kids doing the action with the teacher's acceptance, did it themselves, and got punished, was someone you considered a friend?

Yes, you can legitimately say the kid should have known better and gotten an assurance for themselves that the teacher wouldn't punish them. But I don't see any basic wrong in expecting people to treat you the same way you've seen them treat others.

As for the police analogy, in real life you know ahead of time with no question that speeding is illegal and if you're caught you'll be punished unless you can give a really good reason why you were speeding.

In this case it feels more like, as far as the "public" view I'm aware of knew up until now, the "police" were watching all the speeders go by all this time and not punishing people for it.

I'm not going to exempt fangame teams entirely. But I think Vivendi did drop the ball a bit here, at least if they don't want to piss off their fanbase.

I'd also like to say, just to set the record straight if anyone's wondering, that I am not against the idea of copyright in principle. But we've had that discussion in these forums before.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."