View Single Post
Old 10-08-2005, 08:40 AM   #69
Jeysie
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Not that I cheer because of KQIX demise - it was THE only fanmade sequel I actually looked forward to. But I must agree with the sentiment, expressed here as well as in the thread in "Adventure", that undertaking such a high profile violation of copyrights and hoping Vivendi just won't mind was mightily stupid.
I don't see how it's stupid. I mean, let's see:

1. Fangames like SQ:TLC and SQ0 get made. Vivendi doesn't blink.

2. AGDI does remakes. They're certainly high-profile in the community, and have also received print publicity. Vivendi gives them official permission to continue making and distributing their games.

3. Colin from SQ7.org has been in contact with Vivendi's legal folk almost since the project started several years ago. Vivendi has as of yet mostly ignored him.

4. There's several other SQ fangames currently in development. Nothing from Vivendi. There are likely fangames in development based on other Sierra series that I am not currently aware of.

5. The KQIX team has been in production for 4 years. Vivendi hasn't breathed a word in all that time.

I do agree that I think the KQIX team should have made a greater effort to contact Vivendi (they have attempted to do so in the past), but honestly I don't see how they would have received any more of a response than Colin has.

So, as far as anyone could tell up until now, Vivendi had approved one team's games and ignored everyone else. So I don't think it was "stupid" to think Vivendi might not care.

It may be legal for Vivendi to shut the project down, but the way they did it was shoddy and awful. They could have shut the project down long before this when less work would be wasted and everyone's hopes wouldn't be dashed.

Or even better, they could have followed their own past precedent and not made it look like they were randomly picking who to give a pass and who to shut down. If Vivendi is going to try this, I fail to see how they can honestly justify going after one game and not the others.

I am not saying I would enjoy seeing Vivendi pick on the other fangames, because I most definitely would not. But you can't sit here and say "copyright is copyright" and point fingers solely at the KQIX team when there are plenty of other fangames Vivendi isn't bothering.

And I agree with Austin's sentiment. If Vivendi's going to invoke its copyright without coming off as a complete ass, it really needs to do something other than say "Yeah, we don't want to do s*** with this IP, but too bad, you can't either even though you actually care."

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."