View Single Post
Old 10-07-2005, 07:34 AM   #45
Jeysie
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

I can't believe I almost forgot to address this:

Quote:
If Roberta Williams owned the copyright herself, would you feel that SHE had the right to prevent others from ripping off their copyrights? Is it simply the fact that Vivendi is a large company that makes you feel they should not have the final say about their intellectual property?
I can't speak for the original poster, however, yes, for me I would feel Roberta would have every right to stop the use of copyrights while I find it distasteful from Vivendi.

You know why? Because Roberta created and wrote most of the King's Quest world, whereas Vivendi did nothing but buy it up. And seeing as how in this case the original creator of the series knows of the project and has given it good wishes, I personally hold a lot, lot more weight over that then a company which technically owns the rights but has jack all emotional or creative energy vested in them as of yet.

So, yes, I personally feel that the original creator of a work has the right to say how it's used and I would respect that with no grumblings. But why should I care overmuch about a company that has no creative involvement with the work whatsoever?

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."