View Single Post
Old 10-06-2005, 03:21 PM   #16
Jeysie
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Further signs of Vivendi's brain-deadness:

http://www.kqix.com/forum/index.php?...1441#msg121441

The things Vivendi told AGDI make no sense whatsoever. I mean, if a company does a C&D, it's because they're worried that the fan's work will ruin their profits or copyright in some way, yes?

So, on the one hand, we have AGDI's remakes. The KQ1 remake is essentially a prettied-up redress of the original... if you've played the remake there's not really a reason to play the original unless you're nostalgic for EGA graphics and a text parser.

The KQ2 remake has a full-blown expanded original storyline and has only the bare bones of the original games's plot. And yet, because the original game kinda was mostly bare bones, there's not a lot of reason to play the original game either.

On the other hand, we have the KQIX project. It's a very original plotline based off the details of the first games in the series. It doesn't replace any of the existing games; if anything, it would make people want to go play them because it would help them understand the KQIX plot better. It doesn't interfere with an official sequel; people will still play the official sequel in order to see the official storyline continuation, understanding that any fangame is just an "alternate view".

So essentially, going by Erpy's information in his post, AGDI's gorgeous remakes that replace the original games (which I would think would be any game company's nightmare) are OK. But any spin-offs or sequels that do not replace the original games, and indeed might encourage people to play them, are not OK.

Can I just say a very loud HUH?!

Please note that this is emphatically NOT in any way a diss on the sincerely fabulous work of AGDI!

This is instead entirely a diss of what I personally feel to be an illogical and unfair discrepancy in who Vivendi gives permission to for things. Can anyone explain the logic of this to me?

And as Tramboi said, this was a very late declaration. If Vivendi was going to shut down this game they should have done it a very long time ago when not a lot of work was done yet. To wait until so many years of work had been done and it's almost ready for release and then shut it down... well it may be legal, but it's ethically horrible.

More sadness and pissed-offness, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."