Thread: AGS ezine
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2003, 09:30 PM   #10
remixor
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm222
I don't really know why so many people choose AGS, but probably because it was one of the first engines that were finished, and besides, it has the status of a retro engine, it has a real good-old-days -feeling. This alone has caused the fact that not as many developers have chosen the other engines, thus causing even more alienation of the other engines.

I don't know exactly what started AGS' mighty rise to power, but I can say that my decision was made almost entirely based on the size and activeness of the AGS community. I've been an AGSer for about 6 months now, and the AGS forums are excellent. There is a real community feeling (though not quite so much as there is here), and there really are people knowledgeable in just about every area of game design, be it scripting, art, music, organization, story, or what have you. Chris Jones updates the thing constantly, and is extraordinarily receptive to bug reports and update suggestions.

In other news, I agree with just about everything you said regarding the AGS/other comparisons. The main sticking point for me is that readers of an ezine devoted to AGS have probably pretty much already made up their minds...

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright