View Single Post
Old 09-20-2005, 08:21 AM   #20
natalia
Mrs. Bear

Send a message via AIM to natalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
I'm not sure I understand your question, natalia, so I'll just randomly say things and hope one of them is the answer you're looking for.

First of all, the difficulty settings affect nothing but the action sequences, so switching to the easy setting won't remove anything, change the plot, or "dumb down" the rest of the game in any way.

The action sequences themselves are "integral" to the game in various ways, but there's definitely no way around them. Some of them (the ones that occur during dialogues, generally) just add small layers to the story. Others are threats to your mental health, but won't kill you if you fail (unless you lose all your points). The bigger, harder sequences are life and death, though. You fail, you lose. Game over, though usually you're returned to a save point very near the sequence that killed you.
Thanks for the thoughtful response, Jackal. I guess I just wanted to know whether or not making the action sequences easier by playing on easy mode would take away from the game playing experience, if that makes any sense. And from your response, it sounds like that won't be the case. (I'm just a wuss about action sequences -- I loved Psychonauts, but had to put it away, because I simply couldn't get past one of the final meat circus sequences).