View Single Post
Old 09-14-2005, 06:40 PM   #320
Once A Villain
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
I guess the inspiration for this post is how I approach movies. The only weaponry I have when confronting a movie is my heart, soul and life experiences. I don't have the knowledge base that SJH or OAV have to critically analyze a movie and I think that is where some disagreements come in. Certainly if a movie is crap, anyone can recognize that but some of the finer aspects that make a movie good (camera angles, lighting, etc) aren't really recognized by someone like me. I can only tell you how a movie makes me feel, if it awakens something in me, makes me remember something (such as the story above). A question I have for SJH and OAV - do you feel that your knowledge of cinema and movie making hinders or helps how you emotionally judge a movie?
Well, that's actually a good question. Perhaps it does a bit, but not entirely. Some films will always make tears come to my eyes, no matter what. The type of "emotional" movies I have grown immune to are the ones Hollywood generally puts out. You know the type...the sappy, crappy stuff where the music hits an enormous crescendo as someone is dying and people are crying...that sort of manipulation doesn't phase me (in fact I've involuntarily started laughing). But films that earn their emotion through the characters, the images, etc...that moves me.

Also, I must admit I have a single weakness when it comes to the emotion I feel in films. It's very personal, and has little to do with the quality of the work itself. When I was seven years old my father died, and my stepdad wasn't the greatest by any means... So, I always get very sad in movies when there's some sort of father and son bonding. Like in October Sky, for instance, which I mentioned earlier in this thread. The main character's father wants him to be a miner and believes he's just living in a fantasy land if he thinks he can design rockets. By the end of the movie though, the father begins to believe in his son. That kind of thing is like a cheap shot in my case...it always works.