View Single Post
Old 09-14-2005, 10:31 AM   #293
gillyruless

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgothic
I'm going to have to say what Trep says in many other threads with other topics now: there are movies which are both art AND entertainment. I watch those, so nyah.

2001 gets really close IMO - but the last bit of it, like Scott said, just doesn't cut it IMO, so it's never going to be in my top ten, though I do own the DVD and like the movie.

So.

Once A Villain

Sorry, but I'm not letting you, or anyone else, assume I'm some action-movie whore.

</exaggeration>

Even though I find the idea of agreeing with you so that I can also get glomped by you immensely attractive (especially so because I'm a glomp virgin. I've never been glomped before!), I have to disagree with you.

2001: A Space Odyssey represents my ideal sci-fi movie. I've always been a big fan of hard sci-fi, especially the works of authors who tend to focus more on ideas and characters than action. I adore authors like Asimov, Clarke, Clement, and Heinlein for that reason. Short stories written by these authors which appeared on publications like Astounding Stories heavily rely on a development and then subsequent execution of an idea. You will find that these stories often lack heavy action. Isaac Asimov's stories for example usually are consisted of people talking. You won't find robots and aliens rampaging in his stories.

I prefer sci-fi films like 2001: A Space Odyssey over action-oriented films like T2 or WoW. Not that action-oriented films can't be entertaining, they are and I do like a number of such films, but the focus on action usually hinders the full exploration of scientific ideas, puzzles, and character development. The recent Will Smith vehicle I, Robot was the perfect example of this. The over-done action sequences in that movie completely ruined the story for me. At least in my book, there's no comparison between films like 2001: A Space Odyssey and T2.