View Single Post
Old 09-14-2005, 04:48 AM   #283
omloflump
The Impostor

Quote:
I'm not bothered at all. 2001: A Space Odyssey is a masterpiece that can't be harmed by something as trivial as "opinion". I just wish that everyone could see its brilliance as clearly as it deserves to be seen.
I've often felt that way too. I'd take Kubrick's 'wanking' over any number of independent tales of ordinary people. And here I shall quote a clunky and foul-mouthed piece I once wrote (I'd post a link but for the profanity in the title):

Quote:
...when you're making a film you have to use the medium to its full potential. Otherwise, you're just doing a second-rate novel. Why bother making a film if you're not going to invest any care in the only elements that separate film from everything else? You have to give it a reason for being a film; you have to justify the medium’s (and the film's) existence. Don’t make the audience think that the only reason you made your film was because you couldn’t write a novel. It’s true that it’s easier to make a ‘good’ film then a ‘good’ novel, but that’s no excuse. Make something uniquely filmic.

Last edited by omloflump; 09-14-2005 at 05:51 AM.