View Single Post
Old 08-25-2005, 08:32 AM   #176
Trunkyo
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

Hmm, I thought I replied earlier in this thread... guess not!

It's getting harder for me to get excited about new movies coming out in theatres... I usually ask myself, "HOW BADLY DO I NEED TO SEE THIS MOVIE? In the first week?" "Can I wait until it goes to the cheapo second-run theatre downtown?" ($3 matinees! Whee!!! ) And finally, "Can I wait until it comes out on DVD?"

In my city, how soon a movie makes it to the 2nd-run theatre is a really good indicator of how well it did in its first run (box office-wise). Batman Begins started last week, Star Wars Ep. III has been there for 3 weeks, while The Island is already playing there!

While my 13-year-old cousin Kevin was staying with us for the summer, we watched a lot of movies, including:
Blade Runner (Director's Cut) - I managed to find a used copy of the game (just finished BTW, and am replaying it for the different endings! ) so we watched the movie (with me trying in vain to explain the differences between the DC and the "original", it's been so long... )
Napoleon Dynamite
Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Cat Returns
Ju-on: The Grudge - Kevin, like SamNMax, doesn't get scared easily, unlike my wussy sister!
Kung Fu Hustle - Eecch, then again, I didn't like Shaolin Soccer either
2046, on bootleg Asian DVD from my uncle in HK (Hey, stop looking at me like that! ) - Visually stunning film (and Gong Li, Maggie Cheung and Zhang Ziyi aren't too bad-looking either! ) The non-linear narrative confused the heck out of my mom, though.