View Single Post
Old 08-20-2005, 05:34 AM   #157
Dark Veil
Just charging up

Recently seen movies include;

The Gathering:

(The title and front used almost made me think it was a music DVD...not really though)
Nice story, well told if somewhat predictable. Christina Ricci made up for anything the movie could have done wrong though.

Blackball:

Brilliant British comedy about bowls starring Paul Kaye of Dennis Pennis fame.
Second half of the movie got a bit too serious and emotional and thus a bit out of place but the ending made up for it.
All in all way better than I expected it to be or than rated on IMDB.

The Fifth Element:

Don't know why I waited as long as I did to see this one but I liked it.
Not too pretencious and I loved the art direction, very French thus very likeable.
Oh, and Gary Oldman was hilarious in this one...

Batman Begins:

Liked the restored dark atmosphere eventhough it was trying to be too realistic compared to the more fantasy driven Tim Burton Batman movies.
Hence; too many plotholes...
So the the second one is still my favourite.
However I really did like this one despite of Katie Holmes and that's saying a lot in my book.
( )

The Skeleton Key:

Saw this one in the cinema yesterday.
It was a strange evening since I just broke up with my girlfriend with whom I had been in a steady relationship for three years.
But since it was a friendly break up (is there really such a thing?) and I had already paid for the tickets we decided to go as planned.
(eventhough we actually split up a few hours before going to the theatre...)
The movie itself was nice though not as good as I thought it would be after reading some raving reviews.
The build-up was a bit too slow for my liking and the plot itself predictable (or perhaps I just think too much or too strange... )
But the ending was still the best possible ending for the story.
The acting as well as the directing were also nicely done and I really liked the fact that the movie didn't take the easy blood & gore way out.
So still a really nice movie that I won't hesitate to recommend.