View Single Post
Old 08-20-2005, 12:54 AM   #156
squarejawhero
Epinionated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens

Finally saw Dirty Pretty Things. Very nice. Aside from it seeming mechanical and not drawn out enough at times, it was expertly low key, smart, terse, and even clever here and there. A nice, wicked little contemporary noir thriller inside an intimate, socio-political wrapping.

Also rented Eat Drink Man Woman. Anyone else here see it? It was so sweet and sour - Ha! Nice movie about a lonely but devoted widower and master Chinese chef who can't seem to directly express his deep love for his three self-consumed, libidinous daughters, so instead ritually cooks them up an extravagant weekly dinner. The plot twist near the end is hilarious, and the closure, disarmingly touching.
Loved both of those films. Dirty Pretty Things was a nice suprise!

Got drunk at an animation get-together last night and spent the night at a mates house watching a film. I don't react well to drink, just makes me feel ill, so The Machinist made me feel much better as merely looking at Christian Bale in that state does that to you.

The bit where he sucks in his guts is appalling. Seriously, he's one trippy dude.

As for the film, it's not bad, but it's not as clever as it thinks it is. I was accused of presuming too much by my mate when I figured out the entire thing before half-way through. Was later proved right. That said, well acted, nicely shot and edited and more than a little creepy. Just don't expect anything too startling other than Bale's waistline.