Thread: AGS ezine
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2003, 06:08 AM   #6
Zygomaticus
Liver of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm222
I don't really know why so many people choose AGS, but probably because it was one of the first engines that were finished, and besides, it has the status of a retro engine, it has a real good-old-days -feeling. This alone has caused the fact that not as many developers have chosen the other engines, thus causing even more alienation of the other engines
In my own personal campaign to find the engine that was perfect for me, the straw that broke the deciding camel's back was the fact that AGS has a very active and thriving community. That means for two things: 1) A place to get many opinions and perspectives on something I make, be it a drawing, a tune, etc. and 2) A place to get help - not just from the creator, but from people who have previously been in and experienced the kind of help-requiring situation that I will probably be in when I ask a question.

That was the reason that cried AGS for me. Plus, there seemed to be something wrong with AGAST - maybe it's just my computer, but whenever I closed the Streamliner thing, I'd get an error and it'd make me restart my computer. With Wintermute, similar problem, once I opened the example game file, and close it; the next time I opened it - BAM! Some weird error and I could never open it again, unless I reinstalled. Again, perhaps, it's just my miserable hunk of computerous mass. SLUDGE just looked complicated; and when I put AGS and SLUDGE into consideration - given the above mentioned advantage that AGS had, that just did it for me and I chose AGS.

I agree, that an article like that (which isn't even "in-depth") doesn't need to be in an AGS Ezine, but it's there...oh well