View Single Post
Old 08-09-2005, 05:03 PM   #19
After a brisk nap
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag
um...no. There's really no way of defining Metroid as anything other than an action game. If you're going to stretch the definition of "adventure game" that much, then it pretty much becomes just a meaningless term. And saying, "Metroid is an adventure game" becomes as nonsensical as saying, "Metroid is a fudgcicle."
You know, if someone had sat down saying "Hey, Metroid Prime is kinda like King's Quest. Let's call it a first person adventure," I would agree with you. But of course that's not what happened.

Probably, someone sat down and said "Hey, Metroid Prime is kinda like Tomb Raider," or some other game that is also called an adventure, "but it's in first person. Let's call it a first person adventure." And since using the word "adventure" to describe a particular kind of action game is widespread and well established, there's nothing wrong with that.

Now, as I mentioned, there's apparently some controversy in the console gaming world over whether the game is different enough from FPSs to warrant its own genre label. But that's not, as I understand it, the discussion we're having here.