View Single Post
Old 08-09-2005, 03:56 PM   #10
After a brisk nap
Elegantly copy+pasted

It's a bit close-minded or ignorant, I think, to refuse to acknowledge even the possibility that other people (outside of our adventure community) use other meanings of the term "adventure" that are no less correct than the one we use.

The variant use of "adventure" (for, roughly, Zelda-like games) in the console world goes back to the seventies. The variant, sometimes overlapping use to describe Tomb Raider-like games goes back at least to the late eighties.

These are not "incorrect uses." They are other meanings of the same word. That's why I think something like the MOTTAs are actually more of an embarrassment for (our kind of) adventure gamers than for anyone else.

Looking at the discussion page for the article, it's clear that "first person adventure" is a genre label widely applied to Metroid Prime. It's also clear that this is somewhat controversial. Finally, it's clear that the people who are using it thus are not "misappropriating" the term. They're completely unaware that other people are already using it to mean something else.

In conclusion, the current state of affairs (with separate articles for "first-person adventure" and "first person adventure", one talking about Metroid Prime and the other about Myst) is unacceptable. On the flip side, editing would mean getting sucked into an ugly and ultimately pointless semantic argument. I think I'll just stay on the sidelines and lob rocks at the participants.