View Single Post
Old 06-30-2005, 10:26 PM   #9
squarejawhero
Epinionated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingzjester
There is something happening here that is like a car crash. Horrible though it may be, I can't look away.

I cannot understand how people who are not cynical nor well-fortified against retaliatory cynicism can exist in the internet.
So true. But then again, my work deals in criticism, so I can't understand the defense mechanism seen so often on internet forums. I'll never understand the "well, I think it's good so therefore it works" reasoning either. This forum's good as there's more of a sense of detatchment than most, which is important when dealing with games from a critical standpoint.

Games are fickle beasts, and adventure games even more so since they're so deconstructed in terms of gameplay. That's why so much can go wrong with them if one thing is out of place. If you take a bugged-to-crap shooter like Boiling Point, it illustrates this point clearly - it's easier to forgive flaws if there's a few other things worth playing for. In general, the public know this.

Fans here are often more willing to forgive major flaws in favour of benefitting at least either narrative, puzzles or design, but to me all are equally important and adventures require a lot more strength than the average game in order to hold up. Their simplicity is what makes them for a lot of people, but it's thin legs to be standing on.

Which is why I'll never be a true fan in some peoples eyes and don't think I am myself.