View Single Post
Old 06-25-2005, 06:59 AM   #21
squarejawhero
Epinionated.

What's great about these ideas is that they don't require any action or make things too complex for those that can't handle it. Even though there are less rules and linearity, the availability of options through an easily explainable menu system and real life attributes (coupled with capable forward planning at the design side) keeps things simpler and opens up new arenas in terms of exploration, world interaction and puzzle creation. Puzzles would be smoothly integrated into play through their use of such skills.

I think the adventure genre has the ability to reach out even further without losing what makes its great through these.

@sam - without resorting to direct control it's good to study what can be done purely using a mouse as a design basis, which I feel is being looked at here. I agree real time components through cycles in NPC and world behaviour could be extremely interesting though, availability of quests and resources changing as time passes without causing frustration to the player, through interaction density and themed optional (and benefitial) side quests. 80DATW looks like it'll be dealing with that.