View Single Post
Old 06-25-2005, 04:57 AM   #17
squarejawhero
Epinionated.

What other things do you guys see as transferable between the different genres? I'm interested.

Without heading too far into RPG territory, I thought the solid objects found in them and the recent development of proper physical reaction in relation to material (sounds, weight, occurance when shattered or thrown) is something that'd be great in adventures. I see some of Morrowind in Kheop's latest inventory style play, but in Morrowind each entity was a seperate model.

That was a good few years ago now, but it'd be nice to have some kind of solidity to inventory and clue objects. Even if it's being able to turn a picture about to rip open the back to find a map. I also like the idea of limited inventory, whereabouts there's a realistic limit to it and bigger objects, as in Myst's tablet, have puzzles as to how to best go about utilising and moving them.

edit - also include realistic limits within area movement. Nothing like a locked room with a glass window you can't get past. Nowadays, you can just smash the window, or failing that and discovering it's toughened, utilise your knowledge of the office or government building you're in to figure out who'd most likely have the keycode without prompting.

edit - btw Steve, much like BFME, I'd see any context cursor used in accordance with what you can do, with any unavailable options greyed out or just not there.