View Single Post
Old 06-25-2005, 04:00 AM   #14
Steve Ince
Writer-Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Gantefoehr
I agree. I think the lack of capability/complexity of the interface in mouse-driven P&C is part of the problem, though. Many, actually most recent games, have an interface that is simplified down to two basic interaction possibilities: USE (or ACT) and LOOK.

This limits the variety of possible interactions. There can only be one interaction per mouse button at one time.
This was exactly my feeling when approaching the interface for Sapphire Claw. In a similar manner to that which SJH points out, right-clicking with the mouse will bring up a context-sensitive menu of icons which will give the player up to six actions to choose from when interacting with an object or character.

Quote:
Recent games have constructed puzzles and interactions according to these interface restrictions. But Interaction Density, as I understand it, doesn't neccessarily mean lots-a-hotspots - it can also mean more complex hotspots. And more complex hotspots, offering a variety of manipulations per hotspot or situation, require an interface more complex than two simple mouse button triggers.
That depends. High interaction density is about giving the player plenty to do. Does a complex interface actually give the player more to do or just make it seem that way by providing more superfluous interactions? I suspect that the right balance lies in having plenty of interaction hot-spots that have varying degrees of interactivity using an intuitive interface.