Thread: Recipes Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2005, 05:20 AM   #3
gillyruless

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco
So, there were a few recipes in the old "Do you cook?" thread, but I figured I'd resurrect one dedicated entirely to recipes. Here's one I made tonight, which I partially ripped off from Spaff (or maybe completely, but I think I forgot part of his, so I had to make it from memory, and might in fact be slightly different than Spaff's).

Creamy Tomato Pasta Sauce

5-8 strips good bacon (I use the Trader Joes apple smoked bacon)
1 sweet yellow onion, chopped
16 or so cremini mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
8 large tomatoes, coarsely chopped (use good ones with juice and actual flavor)
3/4 cup (.18 liters) heavy cream

Cut the bacon strips into small pieces. Heat a tiny amount of olive oil over medium heat, and throw in the bacon. Cook the bacon, stirrriing occasionally, until soome fat begins to render and the meat is cooked (don't cook it to crispy!). If there's an excessive amount of grease, drain most of it out. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion starts to soften. Stir in the mushrooms and cook for a couple of minutes. Add the tomatoes and simmer, stirring every now and then until the sauce thickens way down, possibly up to an hour. Add the cream, reduce to a simmer, and cook just until heated. Serve over pasta immediately.

This sauce reheats really well, too

Doug, would it be possible to modify the recipe so that we veggos could have ago at it? It sounds deliciouse but no bacons for mew so what if I put in some EVOO instead and some herbs like basil or oregano? I'm not sure how herbs will go with the cream part though. Hmm.