Thread: EU constitution
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2005, 01:57 PM   #26
AFGNCAAP
Dungeon Master

I've always considered unified Europe a touching idea in itself, too. But - though I'm sure it varies from country to country - I have to agree with Catbert's point of view here:
Quote:
Every single damn politician in Europe talks about it and how great it is, but they forget to TELL WHAT THE **** IT IS.
Well, almost agree - actually, there is quite a vocal group of EU opponents among our politicians here. But still, neither them nor their pro-European counterparts care to evaluate what does the constitution, this very constitution we are supposed to vote for/against*, contain. On top of that, we have this ludicrous mindset of not having known in advance what to do if one or more of the countries do what France and Netherlands just did. Isn't that rather idiotic? Doesn't that make the act of voting even more pointless? - I mean, even if I had made the decision by thoroughly studying myriads of pages of the proposed act, I wouldn't have known what my "Yes" or "No" means until big political figures interpret the poll results accordingly?

To sum up, I'm afraid if I had to vote tomorrow, I'd show my opinion simply by staying at home.

*In 2003 referendum (on Poland joining the Union), even if the amount of available information wasn't higher (and, as a matter of fact, it was), one could pretend the voting was about the sole idea of integration. This time it's different: the citizens are supposed to voice their opinion on a very specific step along the way to integration.