View Single Post
Old 06-04-2005, 05:12 AM   #5
Jacques l'aliéné
Flatulent Philanthropist

I think modern 2D games can easily be just as fantastic as 3D games. As someone said above . . . . It's a true art in itself. I wonder how many 2D critics would refuse all recommendations to play the first two 'Broken Sword' games once they realised that they are 2D games.

In short, some of the great classics are 2D games and some of the modern (-er), 3D games are rubbish games, apart from the pretty 3D environs. Why can't both coexist ? I'm sure some modern games, if made in 2D, would have just as much chance of being regarded as 'classics', in the future, as modern 3D games.

I know that not everyone agrees, but graphics aren't everything. Then again, I'm sure 'Adventurers' reacted in a similar way when games like 'Mystery House' or 'King's Quest 1' appeared. Few would deny that 'King's Quest 1' was a good game. Yet, to some, graphics ruined the idea of what a true Adventure game was. I know people who have no time at all for the graphic Zorks, and others who love both text and graphic games in the series. It's personal preference, I suppose, but, sometimes, it's prejudice.

I know it's important to move with the times, and I'm certainly not against change (for the better). But 'New style' doesn't mean that 'Old style' is bad. Everything has it's place, and the more variety of GOOD things, the better.