Thread: California trip
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2005, 10:03 PM   #56
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mszv
Fine Arts Museums. There are two museums, only one of which is open right now, the Legion of Honor. The other one, the De Young, is getting a new building, it's not open yet. The Legion of Honor is a nifty museum - a good permanent collection and some interesting shows. It's also in a great location, with a view of the Golden Gate Bridge and nice views of the city. I think it's a worth a trip.
Ah yes, forgot about the De Young. Probably because it's been closed for so long.

After you go to the Legion of Honor, you can come have a drink at the Cliff House with me! The Cliff House is gorgeous (even when I'm not there ) - recently reopened, great view of the ocean, and the drinks are reasonably priced. Don't eat there because the food prices are atrocious. They're trying to tap the tourists. But the drink prices are low because they want to attract the locals (for which my BF and I are eternally grateful... bars are very scarce in our neighborhood!) The Cliff House is literally a 10 minute walk from my house.

You might also fancy a stroll down the beach (there's a windmill that's kinda interesting to look at... and a Safeway that's not as exciting ), or a walk in Sutro Heights park, which overlooks the ocean.

Oh - San Francisco also has a reasonably good zoo. It's also near the ocean, about 20 blocks south of the Cliff House. I had never seen peacocks up close (like, not in pens) until I visited the SF zoo.