Thread: California trip
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2005, 05:39 PM   #34
EasilyConfused
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
I already did all that (Muir woods, Golden Gate, Sea Lions, Chinatown, Trams, and Elephant seals) 7 or so years ago, but yeah, it's great, and I'll do it all over again, if only to share the sights with my girlfriend.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys, I guess I'll need to find a decent piece of paper and a pen and write it all down. Again, keep it coming! I'll have a car and probably the opportunity to fly away for a few days, so don't let your suggestions be limitated to the Bay area. For example, I was thinking about going to LA. Until I read Jake's post, that is...
I vote Seattle, then. I was there a couple of years ago for a friend's wedding and I had a wonderful time. If you are there in August, it might not rain. The food and wine is also wonderful, and a lot of people told me Seattle is what San Francisco was like before it became just like New York, but on the West Coast.

* winks at Emily and runs *

There is a great market in Seattle, and amazing bookstores, and one of the coolest things I've ever seen--the salmon returning to spawn in the rivers where they came from. They have designed a damn specially so that the salmon can still get back to where they came from, but also so that people can walk inside and see into the water through glass--you see these gigantic, five-foot long fish wearing themselves out trying to swim upstream. It's quite . . . poetic. And very sad, because they are going to die.

Okay, I have to go weep now.