Thread: California trip
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2005, 01:39 PM   #26
squarejawhero
Epinionated.

Ninth, I just did Cali a couple of months back, and I'm very jealous. Believe me - you WON'T want to leave San Fran. I fell in love with it and even as a European, I can say that it's definitely one of the most beautiful and romantic cities in the world. Fantastic food, brilliant scenery, something new around each corner! Check out the Muir Redwood forest, the bridge, the seals at the harbour (Fishermans Wharf?), walk through Chinatown, take a tram (there's Trams from all over the world, plus those ones on the vertical street)... wow, you're gonna have FUN!

We (my ex and I) rented a car and took Route 1 (is that right?) down the coast to LA, which was utterly beautiful. Don't forget to check out that amazing area, including all sorts of wildlife and scary roads, plus Elephant seals further down. You'll never see such scenery.

Don't forget the Madonna Inn at San Luis Obispo, you JUST have to eat cake there. Make sure you don't eat much beforehand though! There's a nice hostel there with cheap prices and private rooms too, can't remember its name - if you get the Rough Guide it'll be in there.

We then "did" LA, went to Joshua Tree, then drove up through to Kings Canyon and Sequoia for stunning scenery and massive trees (General Sherman). We also went to Yosemite, which is totally unforgettable. There's a good hostel there which does great food - Yosemite Bug Lodge.

We had two weeks, so go further north too or do the wine region, Napa Valley! Make the most of it! I want to move there, if that's any indication of the fun you'll have!

Download the WorldWind globe from Nasa and check out Cali.

http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/