Thread: California trip
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2005, 09:38 AM   #16
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
As for the Rocky Horror Picture Show, well, I think I'll try to see it here in France, where initiation are a little less extreme .

What, does California have a reputation for scary Rocky Horror initiations? I've seen it in many places and California was no stranger than anywhere else.

I actually don't think Rocky Horror plays anywhere around here any more. The one in Berkeley closed down years ago (unless they reopened and I didn't hear about it). I saw it in San Jose about 8 years ago (ack, I feel old) and it was kind of lame. You really want to see a good Rocky Horror Picture Show, go to Cambridge. *waves at EasilyConfused*

I agree, you might want to try the wine country, and maybe book a B&B for a few nights up there. It's a long drive from Palo Alto so you probably won't want to do it all in one day. The Monterey Aquarium is a few hours' drive south of Palo Alto, that's a neat trip too, and you can go to Carmel afterward for dinner and drink in Clint Eastwood's pub.

Also, if you're planning to do sightseeing and go out in San Francisco, I suggest getting a hotel overnight there. Palo Alto is a fine place but it's a hike, and you're going to be spending a lot of time in the car if you try to go back and forth between Palo Alto and San Francisco for more than a day.

There are some amusement parks around too if you're interested in doing that for a day. There are Great America and Six Flags parks relatively close to Palo Alto.

I'm trying to remember what we used to do for fun when I lived in the Palo Alto area... but I think it mainly involved a lot of shopping and going out for coffee. There's lots of good, authentic Asian food (at least, more authentic than I had growing up in Boston!) on the Peninsula, though.

Oh, Hearst Castle is a cool place to visit too. It's in San Simeon, down the coast (farther south than Monterey). I went there a few years ago. We stayed in a neat B&B in Cambria that I recommend.