View Single Post
Old 05-22-2005, 03:18 PM   #21
squarejawhero
Epinionated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
Well, apart from the aforementioned Windsor Protocol, I plan on buying The League of the Extraordinary Gentlemen DVD. Everyone on Earth hated it, but I think it was great over the top fun, just too silly not to like. Yeah, it's nothing like the comic book, but who cares.

Not sure if this falls into the guilty pleasures category, but I think Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow is one of the best last year's films (the third best, to be exact). It's such a beautiful love letter to pulp and early SF, bettered only by Volume 2 of The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (comic book, not the movie). Besides, as a friend said, it has everything a good film should have: femme-bots, ninjas and dinosaurs. And then some!
Chalk another up for Sky Captain. I've got it and it truly is a guilty pleasure. The script clunks, the acting is very middling and just... well, passionless... but the heart is in the production design and love the filmmaker has for his movie. It took a long time to make and is a fantastic achievement.